United Brethren has retired.

My "liturgical" calendar

There are three reasons why Mormons don't follow the Christian liturgical calendar (other than celebrating Christmas and Easter Sunday). First, we inherited, I think, the extreme iconoclasm of non-conformist Protestantism. Second, nothing in the revelations given to Joseph Smith instruct us to follow the calendar, and in many ways Mormonism has sought to make a clean break (almost) from what it considers "apostate" tradition. Third, Mormons have the lofty goal of a communion with God that is direct, constant, and not ceremonial. In other words, Mormons would say that they don't need to be reminded by a set-calendar that they should be thinking of Christ. See John Fowles's thoughts on this.

I'm not so good at the third, and find that I do need a lot of specific prompting to focus on spiritual matters. I also happen to enjoy the traditional Christian liturgy (despite being a life-long Latter-day Saint, I went to Anglican schools you see). So I have created the Ronan J. Head Calendar of Annual Religious Tourism 2005.

This is the American version which I will adapt into an English version soon (i.e. swapping July 4 with St. George's Day). Some explanations first:

1. I have incorporated the main religious festivals of Christianity and Judaism.
2. I have chosen what I consider to be the pivotal moments in Mormon history and have made one up (take a look!)
3. In order to teach my children about other religions, I have also selected certain Hindu, Buddhist, and Islamic festivals.
4. Because I'm a UN-hugging liberal, I've also added a few days of international observance.
5. I have listed the US holidays I personally find most meaningful (and will swap them with Brit-holidays)

As these "holidays" occur, I will post my ideas for celebrating them from a Mormon perspective (and food to eat!). Anyway, here it is:

January
1-New Years Day
6-Epiphany
17-Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr

February
8-Shrove Tuesday
9-Ash Wednesday - Lent begins to March 19
14-St. Valentine's Day

March
8-International Woman’s Day
17-St. Patrick's Day
20-Palm Sunday
24-Maundy Thursday; Purim (Jewish)

25-Good Friday
27-Easter

April
2/3-General Conference

6-Restoration of the Church
22-Earth Day
23/24-Passover (Jewish)

May
5-Ascension of Christ
6-Jesus among the Nephites
8-Mother's Day
15-Pentecost; Restoration of the Priesthood
24-Buddha Day

June
13/14-Shavuot (Jewish)
19-Father's Day
24-Martyrdom of Joseph Smith

July
4-Independence Day
24-Pioneer Day

Aug
14-15-Tisha B'av (Jewish)

September
21-Moroni’s Visitation

October
1/2 General Conference

4/5-Rosh Hashanah (Jewish)
13-Yom Kippur (Jewish)
18/19-Sukkot (Jewish)
31-All Hallows Eve

Nov
1-Diwali (Hindu)
3/4-Eid al Fitr - Ramadan ends (Islam)
11-Veterans Day
24-Thanksgiving
27-First Sunday of Advent

December
23-Joseph Smith Birthday
24-Christmas Eve
25-Christmas Day
25/Jan1- Hannukkah (Jewish)

Comments

Blogger john f. said ... (April 03, 2005 11:06 PM) 

He's obviously a racist against Hispanics. (This is tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic.)

Ronan, I think that you know that I personally would very much love to follow a liturgical calendar for the fun and solemnity of it (is that a contradiction?).

Anyway, yours looks great.

 

post a comment