United Brethren has retired.

Networks reject United Church of Christ ads

"As church bells chime in the background, a burly bouncer guards the velvet ropes at the church entrance. 'No, step aside, please,' he tells two men holding hands. 'I don't think so,' he says to a young black girl, blocking her entrance. A Hispanic man and a person in a wheelchair are also denied entry. The scene fades to black and a message: 'Jesus didn't turn people away. Neither do we.'"

This ad has been rejected by the networks as "too controversial" (citing the image of gays in the ad). To the discussion underway at T&S I would like to add this: I empathise with the message of this commercial: we should never turn people away from Church. I remember well how a branch I used to attend showed their true christianity by welcoming a transvestite into our meetings. But I disagree with the idea that Jesus somehow tolerated sin. He loved sinners and counted them as his friends but told the adulteress to "sin no more". I champion Christian tolerance; I reject the trendy Christian "anything goes" attitude.

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 03, 2004 6:16 PM) 

I have run into both situations... Have one ward that similarly let a transvestite in, and a wise Bishop told him that he could go to relief society and when he was comfortable, he could begin to make the change to Priesthood. The guy is the strongest member, he is always out with the missionaries, and doing all sorts of great work. The catch? He isn't even a member.(for obvious reasons.) but with the love of that Bishop, it won't be long. Seems to me we can learn from the Bishop and this great guy/girl.

On the other hand, I watched myself as My dear Lamanite friend was Baptized and the Bishop just about ran him out of the church. All because he was a longhaired Indian. I had to make a call to the Stake President and ask him why after 4 months my friend didn't have the priesthood. Then he was denied a temple recommend because the Bishop said he would have to cut his hair before he could go to the Temple... Something that was against his Native American traditions. Never seen in any handbook of instruction where it says you have any certain length of hair to go to church.

that is the danger and the beauty of this church. It is run by noral people with normal stuggles and problems. Even the leaders are not flawless.

I am not sure why we are so protective of our tradtions, especially the ones that have no doctrinal basis. Then again, we have some wonderful doctines that allow room for us to screw up, if only our pride had that fudge room. 

Posted by Jake

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 03, 2004 7:42 PM) 

Jake,
You are right to point out that not every church leader always acts in the most christian manner. But we can only influence our own spheres. If show love and tolerance (without of course whitewashing sin) we might find it to be contagious. 

Posted by Ronan

 

post a comment