United Brethren has retired.

Would Jesus Vote for Tony?

I've waited for the excitement to die down, but the recent American elections have made me very aware that a General Election will be called in England within the next year. Who would I vote for? I've thought about what issues would maybe be important to Jesus, and how as his follower I should act.

Here in the US (where I'm currently living), when talking to some local ward members, it seems to be a "good Mormon" you vote Republican because they're anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. To me it's not that clear cut. (Never mind the fact that the abortion rate went up under Bush). Jesus cared for the poor, the sick, the needy. Something the Democrats, in my opinion, seemed to have better views on.

As a Mormon, the aforementioned "moral" policies are something to be taken into consideration when voting, however, but I realised I have no idea where the three main British political parties stand on them. So, I emailed them. I got a next day response from the Conservative Party, a few days later came the Labour Party response, and I'm still waiting, 2 weeks later for the Liberal Democrats to respond. When they do, I will report back. To be continued......

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 15, 2004 9:34 AM) 

Jesus cared for the poor, the sick, the needy. Some Mormons claim that charity is best not doled out - "give a man a fish..." They even claim this is the Lord's way. But you would have to rewrite the Bible to make this work: A blind man came to Jesus, and Jesus turned him away saying, "My son, learn Braille. The effort will be better for your soul". 

Posted by Ronan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 15, 2004 2:00 PM) 

Not too mention rewriting the words of another (admittedly less important) spiritual source. Perhaps we should ask ourselves, "What would King Benjamin do?" 

Posted by John Crawford

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 15, 2004 4:04 PM) 

John,
You're link didn't work - but I'm presuming Mosiah!? I think we could subsitute many a prophet's name in there, although I do think Jesus is the best one...We'll see what British politicians have to say for themselves. I suspect they won't be that different from each other really, but we'll see....
and Ronan, nice reference - maybe Jesus would approve of the British National Health System, where healthcare is a right not a priviledge!! 

Posted by Rebecca

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 27, 2005 3:54 AM) 

WOW Im sorry you had to deal with that whole Good mormons vote republican. Not that Im democrat either cuz well... anyway. If it isnt Politics your questioned about Im sure its something else. MMM maybe I sould come up with some left wing liberal views so they can stop gossiping about my burnt cookies I took last enrichment.... or the fact that my kids run around out side in Underwear..... lol JK... Much worse things can be said about you by the ever so faithful perfect saints amongst us.... or including us... than OH wow they voted Democrat.... how horrid is that?
lol GL with the Judgmental looks and the whisperings behind your back. Maybe I will rent a NUN outfit and wear it to church see what kind of looks I get. LOL 

Posted by Janice

 

post a comment